Dr Mike Webster
BEng, MSc, PhD, DIC, CEng, MICE, MIStructE
Mike is a chartered civil and structural engineer with over 30 years’ experience. This includes over ten years as a director of three consultancies.
He set up MPW R&R to provide consulting, forensic engineering and expert witness services, and specialises in construction safety, structural safety & service life and the associated risk & regulatory issues.
- Expertise in construction health and safety, organisational risk and the CDM Regulations – having led a range of reviews, published over 20 reports and acted as an expert witness (instructed by both defence and prosecution) in cases involving breaches of the Health and Safety at Work Act, Work at Height Regulations and the CDM Regulations (1994, 2007 and 2015) during construction projects
- Expertise in defects, deterioration, durability, safety and the service life of concrete structures – having worked on the design, site supervision, appraisal and repair of concrete building and bridge structures, led a range of research, published work, developed asset management guidance in UK, Europe and Hong Kong and acted as an expert witness
- Expertise in the combination of engineering, organisational and human risk – this provides greater insight into what can go wrong, why it went wrong and what we can do to prevent it going wrong in the future
- Prepared expert reports for civil and criminal cases – including a range of structural collapses, falls, cable strikes, demolition, trench collapses and personal injury; and has given evidence in Crown Court
Mike is currently a member of the following industry forums:
- Structural-Safety (incorporating the Standing Committee on Structural Safety (SCOSS) and Confidential Reporting on Structural Safety (CROSS))
- Institution of Structural Engineers Health and Safety Panel
- Hazards Forum
- Society of Construction Law
- Concrete Society
At MPW R&R, Mike collaborates with a range of independent consultants who can bring additional expertise to projects or undertake peer reviews in areas including risk, construction safety, structural safety, behavioural safety and concrete structures.
Education and Professional
- BEng (First Class Honours) in Civil Engineering plus Balfour Beatty Prize, Kingston University (part time) (1991)
- MSc (Distinction) and DIC in Concrete Structures plus Gyebi Kufuor Prize, Imperial College (1992)
- PhD ‘The assessment of corrosion-damaged concrete structures’, University of Birmingham (2000)
- Chartered Engineer (1993)
- Member, Institution of Structural Engineers (1993)
- Member, Institution of Civil Engineers (1994)
- MPW R&R – Director, 2014 onwards
- Frontline Consultants – Director, 2008-2014
- BOMEL Consultants – Director, 2001-2008
- British Cement Association – Engineering Manager, 1994-2001
- Mouchel – Senior Engineer, 1989-1994
- Cement & Concrete Association – Technical Officer, 1984-1989
If you would like to discuss how we might be able to help, please drop me a line at email@example.com or give me a call on +44 (0) 7969 957471.